Aromatic oregano flowers are hand harvested from the slopes of Monte Barrau and air dried by the Sicilian breeze at La Furtuna Estate to create our Organic Oregano Flowers. Using the flowers rather than the leaves is the traditional way to use oregano in Sicily, as it allows the intense flavor and fragrance to remain. As soon as you open a jar of our Organic Oregano Flowers you'll know exactly what we mean. This Sicilian take on the classic pasta salad combines these Oregano Flowers with our Organic Fusilli Pasta, Sicilian Lemon Salt, and exclusive Biancolilla Centinara Olive Oil for a flavorful salad loaded with textural variety.
SICILIAN SUMMER PASTA SALAD
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 1 hour (15 minutes active)
▢ 1 package of Fusilli Organic Pasta
▢ 1 and 1/2 tbsp Organic Oregano Flowers
▢ 1 and 1/2 tsp Sicilian Sea Salt With Organic Lemon
▢ 1 pint of grape tomatoes
▢ 2 cloves garlic, minced
▢ 3 tbsp lemon juice
▢ 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
▢ 5-6 oz Pecorino Romano cheese, crumbled
▢ 1/2 cup pine nuts
▢ 4 oz sliced pitted olives (green or black)
▢ 1/8 tsp black pepper
▢ fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice grape tomatoes in half and arrange on a baking sheet lined with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper. Drizzle lightly with Biancolilla Centinara Olive Oil and Sicilian Sea Salt With Organic Lemon. Roast for 45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, put the pine nuts in a small pan. Heat over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, until pine nuts are lightly toasted. Remove pine nuts from pan when turn a light golden brown.
- Prepare a pot of boiling salted water. Add the Organic Fusilli Pasta and cook for 7 minutes. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the garlic, Organic Oregano Flowers, Sicilian Sea Salt With Organic Lemon, black pepper, Biancolilla Centinara Olive Oil, lemon juice, and white wine vinegar. Whisk together ingredients until well mixed.
- Remove tomatoes from oven when finished and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, combine Organic Fusilli Pasta, dressing mix, olives, cheese, pine nuts, and roasted tomatoes and mix ingredients together. Finish with a sprinkle of Sicilian Sea Salt With Organic Lemon and chopped fresh basil.