Scamorza is an Italian, spun paste cow’s milk cheese belonging to the pasta filata family. Shaped similar to a provolone in pear shape, it is available in many other forms as well. A semi-soft white cheese with a texture comparable to that of a firm, dry Mozzarella, Scamorza is made throughout Apulia and in some parts of Campania and Molise.
Enjoy this Bona Furtuna twist on the cozy, easy-to-make dish that can be served as an appetizer or a main entree.
SCAMORZA & RICOTTA STUFFED ARTICHOKES
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves 4
▢ 4 large artichokes, trimmed
▢ 1 lemon, sliced
▢ 2 bay leaves
▢ 1⁄2 cup champagne vinegar
▢ 1 tbsp dijon mustard
▢ 1 tbsp honey
▢ 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
▢ 3 cloves garlic, smashed
▢ 1 cup Biancolilla Centinara Olive Oil
▢ 2 tbsp Organic Oregano Flowers
▢ 100% Sicilian Sea Salt to taste
▢ 1 cup bread crumbs
▢ 1 cup scamorza cheese, grated
▢ 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
▢ 1⁄4 cup italian parsley, chopped
▢ 2 tbsp garlic, minced
▢ 1⁄3 cup Biancolilla Centinara Olive Oil
▢ 1⁄4 tbsp Sicilian Sea Salt
▢ Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Braised Baby Fennel
▢ 2 tbsp Bona Furtuna Olive Oil
▢ 4 heads baby fennel, cut into quarters
▢ 2 tbsp garlic, minced
▢ 1 cup white wine
▢ 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
▢ 3 tbsp butter
- Preheat broiler. In a large pot, add about 1/2 inch of water and lemon slices. Add artichokes, then bring to a simmer and steam until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove and let cool until able to handle.
- In a blender combine the vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot and garlic. Blend on high until well combined. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with Oregano Flowers and salt, place into a small jar and reserve for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and saute baby fennel, add garlic, white wine, chicken stock and butter. Simmer until tender.
- In a medium bowl combine the bread crumbs, scamorza, ricotta, parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pack bread crumb mixture into the artichoke leaves. Place artichokes in a baking dish, sprinkle with more scamorza, and bake until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the artichokes on a serving platter along with the braised baby fennel and drizzle generously with the oregano vinaigrette.