Salty, sweet, aromatic, and fresh, pasta con le sarde offers a peek into Sicily’s rich cultural heritage. While sardines and anchovies tell the story of the islands maritime significance, bucatini, wild fennel and toasted breadcrumbs nod to its agrarian roots, and raisins and pine nuts speak to its trade history with North Africa. Traditionally served with bucatini, this Sicilian sardine pasta can be made with any variation of noodles that you prefer.
PASTA CON LE SARDE
▢ 1/2 cup white wine
▢ 1/4 cup golden raisins
▢ Pinch saffron threads
▢ 1/4 cup pine nuts
▢ 1/2 cup bread crumbs
▢ 2 tbsp butter
▢ Pinch of Sicilian Sea Salt and Organic Herb Blend
▢ 12 oz Bucatini
▢ 4 tbsp Heritage Blend Olive Oil
▢ 1 small onion, or 1/2 large onion, diced
▢ 1 small fennel bulb, diced
▢ 5-6 anchovies
▢ 1 lemon, zested and juiced
▢ 3 cloves garlic, minced
▢ Pinch of Sicilian Chili
▢ 1 can sardines
▢ salt and pepper
- Bring the wine to a simmer over the stove, then remove immediately from heat. Add the saffron and golden raisins and set aside.
- Dry-toast the pine nuts in a small saucepan. Be very careful as they will brown quickly and burn if you don’t pay attention. Set aside.
- In a small pan, melt the butter and stir in the breadcrumbs with a pinch of Sicilian Sea Salt and Organic Herb Blend. Remove from heat when the breadcrumbs begin to brown and set aside on a paper lined plate.
- Halve each of the sardines lengthwise, then quarter them widthwise. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the busiate until the noodles are al dente; roughly 9-12 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan over medium heat with 4 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion, fennel, and anchovies and stir until the anchovies have melted and the onions and fennel have softened. Add the garlic, lemon zest, and chili pepper, and stir to combine. Deglaze the pan with the wine and raisins, and stir until the wine has almost evaporated. Stir in the sardines with the lemon juice, pine nuts, and freshly cracked pepper and stir for two minutes. Add the cooked pasta and stir until the bucatini are evenly coated with sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs.