Ditalini pasta is commonly used in many dishes throughout Sicily. Translated as 'small thimbles', Ditalini is a great choice for soups and pasta salads. It also makes for a great macaroni and cheese as well. This creamy havarti dill mac & cheese recipe is a quick and delicious way to get your pasta fix. The buttery havarti cheese combines perfectly with the fragrant and slightly sweet dill to make a dish worthy of your cravings.
We wouldn't be a good pasta company without having a recipe (or two) for an "adult" mac & cheese like this. If you're interested in making a more traditional Italian dish then check out our recipe for Cacio E Pepe using our ancient grain spaghetti pasta, another cheesy and equally delicious quick meal.
HAVARTI DILL MAC & CHEESE
Prep time: 5 minutes; Cook time: 20 minutes
▢ 1 box of Bona Furtuna Ditalini pasta
▢ 8 oz of havarti cheese (use dill havarti cheese if available)
▢ 4 tbsp of butter
▢ 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
▢ 1 tsp of Sicilian Sea Salt
▢ 1.75 cups of milk
▢ 1 tbsp dill weed
▢ 1/2 cup of toasted breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook the Ditalini pasta for 8 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, whisk in the all-purpose flour.
- Mix in the milk and Sicilian Sea Salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Tear cheese into chunks and mix in until melted.
- Add the cooked Ditalini pasta and mix well so the noodles are covered in cheese mix.
- Top with dill seasoning and toasted breadcrumbs.
How did this recipe turn out for you? Let us know in the comments below!