The intoxicating scent of frying garlic hangs in the air as you pull your chair up to the dinner table. You mindlessly tuck a napkin into the collar of your shirt like you have since you first saw your Nonno do so. A plate of Spaghetti coated in a familiar red sauce appears before you and you close your eyes to take in the sweet smell of childhood. After a fresh showering of grated Parmigiano, you take your first bite, and your heart is instantly filled with simple comfort and joy. There’s nothing quite like Spaghetti Pomodoro.
Bringing the simple pleasures of fresh tomatoes together with the other Italian staple, pasta, pasta pomodoro was destined for greatness. The union of their marriage forever changed Italian cuisine, and is a favorite in Italian homes throughout the world. Perhaps the most iconic Italian pasta dish there is, pasta pomodoro exemplifies what Italian cuisine does best: allowing simple, high quality ingredients to take center stage. Made from fresh heirloom Corleonese tomatoes and Sicilian Sea Salt, our Original Passata sauce offers the perfect base for your next pasta pomodoro.
SPAGHETTI AL POMODORO
- Place a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic and sauté until softened, roughly 1 minute. Add the Passata and bring to a low simmer.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season well with salt. Cook the Spaghetti until almost al dente, roughly 7 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain the Spaghetti.
- Add the Spaghetti to the pomodoro sauce with 1/4 cup of pasta water. Bring the heat up to medium and stir the Spaghetti, allowing for the sauce to thicken and the pasta to continue to cook in the pomodoro sauce. Once the noodles have reached a good al dente texture, remove from heat.
- Stir in the fresh basil, taste, and adjust salt and pepper accordingly.
- Serve with a showering of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.