Our Orange Rosemary Olive Oil Cake is an elegantly simple dessert. Baked with our fruity and herbaceous Biancolilla Centinara extra virgin olive oil, this cake is a citrusy delicious treat by itself or topped with whipped cream, fruit, or ice cream. Buon appetito.
▢ 3 large eggs @ room temperature
▢ 3/4 cup sugar
▢ 3/4 cup Biancolilla Centinara Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for brushing the top
▢ 2 tsp orange zest
▢ 4 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
▢ 1.5 cups all purpose flour
▢ 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
▢ 1 tsp baking powder
▢ 1/2 tsp baking soda
▢ 1/2 tsp kosher salt
▢ Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch round baking pan (or 9 inch springform pan) with non-stick spray, then line with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt to combine. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or a hand mixer with beaters) beat together the eggs and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Lower the speed a notch or two, slowly stream in the EVOO, then sprinkle in the orange zest and orange juice.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture until it is combined. Don’t overmix at this point.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 9 inch pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife between the cake and the sides of the pan to loosen, then carefully turn the cake out of the pan.
- Place on a cooling rack. Brush the top with additional EVOO and generously dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut into wedges for serving.
▢ To quickly bring your eggs to room temp place them in a bowl of lukewarm water for 5 minutes.
▢ You will need 1 large or 2 small oranges for the zest & juice. Zest the orange before squeezing for juice.
▢ Finely chop the rosemary leaves and then measure.