Enjoy grilling season the Italian way, with this Sicilian version of the popular Italian street food, spiedini. These grilled skewers make for the perfect summer barbecue. Featuring our Forte Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fennel Seed, Sicilian Sea Salt with Garlic and thinly sliced eye of round beef, our Spiedini alla Siciliana are loaded with bold Bona Furtuna flavors that everyone will love.
SPIEDINI ALLA SICILIANA
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Makes about 10 12" skewers
▢ 2 lbs of eye of round beef, thinly sliced (about 50 slices)
▢ 1/2 cup Forte extra virgin olive oil
▢ 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
▢ 1/2 lb grated pecorino romano
▢ 15 bay leaves, fresh or dried, torn in half
▢ A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, torn into 1-2” pieces
▢ 1 tbsp Fennel Seed
▢ 1 peeled yellow onion cut into 1” squares
▢ 1 seeded red bell pepper cut into 1” squares
▢ 1 seeded green bell pepper cut into 1” squares
▢ 2 1/2 tsp Sicilian Sea Salt with Garlic
▢ 1 tsp & a dash fresh cracked pepper
▢ 1/4 cup fresh parsley, loosely packed
▢ 1 cup Oregano Marinara Sauce
▢ 1 tsp lemon zest
▢ 1 tbsp lemon juice
▢ Optional: mushrooms or zucchini in 1/4” slices
- In a small saucepan, mix Rosemary Marinara Sauce, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add a dash of pepper and about 1/2 tsp Sicilian Sea Salt with Garlic to taste. Heat over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour the olive oil into a bowl. In a second bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Pecorino-Romano cheese, parsley, Sicilian Sea Salt with Garlic, pepper, and Fennel Seed.
- Beef: Taking one slice of beef at a time, coat it in olive oil and then the breadcrumb mixture. Roll up the breaded slice and set aside on a baking sheet. Repeat for all slices.
- Skewers: Add a layer of beef, bay leaf, pepper, and onion. Repeat. Alternate bay leaf layers with sprigs of rosemary twisted around the skewer. Include optional layers of mushrooms, zucchini, or your favorite skewered vegetables. Set skewer aside on baking sheet and continue assembling skewers until all ingredients are used.
- Grill: Get the grill temperature to around 425℉ and then add the skewers and close the grill. Cook about 2-4 minutes on each side, until the meat is cooked through.
- Serve skewers over a bed of fresh arugula with a side of rosemary lemon marinara dipping sauce. Mangiamo.