Think Polish Cabbage Rolls, but make it Italian. Filled with Italian aromatics and blanketed in our sun-sweetened Passata sauce, these Italian cabbage rolls are a healthier way to savor your favorite Italian flavors.
ITALIAN CABBAGE ROLLS
▢ 1 large head of cabbage (Savoy or Napa)
▢ 1 onion, minced
▢ 1 carrot, minced
▢ 1 celery stalk, minced
▢ 4 cloves garlic, minced
▢ 2 tbsp Heritage Blend EVOO
▢ 2 lbs ground pork
▢ 1 1/2 tbsp Aglio e Oglio Seasoning, divided
▢ 2 tbsp Oregano Flowers, divided
▢ 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
▢ 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
▢ 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
▢ 1 tsp salt
▢ 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
▢ 2 cups Passata Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt. Boil the cabbage for 10 minutes. Remove and drain. Cool completely.
- Pull 12 whole leaves off and cut out the thickest part of the stem at the bottom of the leaf, creating a shallow V shape. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large pan. Sauté the sofritto (onion, celery, carrot and garlic) until soft. Cool completely.
- Transfer cooked sofritto in a large mixing bowl with the ground pork, rice, 1 tbsp Aglio e Oglio, 1 tbsp Oregano Flowers, salt, pepper, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley. Mix to combine completely.
- Divide the meat mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Lay a prepared cabbage leaf flat on a clean surface and place one portion of the meat mixture at the bottom of the leaf. Gently fold the flaps of the leaf over the meat, fold in the sides of the leaf, then roll the cabbage upwards towards the top of the leaf. Place the rolled up cabbage roll seam side down into the casserole dish and continue in this manner until you’ve used all the leaves and filling.
- Pour the Passata sauce over the cabbage rolls and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp Aglio e Oglio seasoning, 1 tbsp Oregano Flowers, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1 hour. Serve with 1/2 cup of freshly chopped parsley.