While this is certainly a more involved dessert, you will not be disappointed with the outcome. The caramelized balsamic brings complexity to this dessert that will elevate the recipe to the top of your dinner party shortlist. For the adults, drizzle with a tbsp of amaro to serve.
BALSAMIC CARAMEL APPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
▢ 4 tbsp unsalted butter
▢ 1/2 cup brown sugar
▢ 4 tbsp 7-Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar
▢ 1 tsp vanilla extract
▢ 3 large apples
▢ 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
▢ 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
▢ 1 tsp salt
▢ 1/2 cup butter, softened
▢ 1/2 cup granulated sugar
▢ 1/2 cup brown sugar
▢ 2 large eggs, room temp
▢ 1 tsp vanilla
▢ 1/2 cup whole milk, room temp
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9-inch cake pan. Skin, core, and thinly slice your apples.
- Combine the 4 tbsp butter, brown sugar, balsamic, and vanilla in a medium pan over medium heat, whisking occasionally until the butter has fully melted. Whisk continuously for another minute or two until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and pour into your greased and lined cake pan. Arrange the apples in your desired pattern, overlapping slightly. When you’ve finished, place the pan in the fridge to set while you combine the batter.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl. Using a stand mixer with a whisk, whisk the butter and sugars (both granulated and brown) until creamy and fluffy (roughly 3 minutes). Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula, then add the eggs and vanilla and whisk together on high speed until it comes together. Carefully add the dry ingredients, whisking on medium until it just comes together, then turn the speed to low and pour in the milk, whisking until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and bake for 45 minutes. Check the cake halfway through baking. If it has begun to brown, tent a piece of tin foil over the cake to keep it from browning before it is fully cooked. When a toothpick test comes out clean from the cake, remove it from the oven. Allow the cake to cool for 15-20 minutes, then carefully invert it onto your favorite cake plate or stand. Allow the cake to cool fully at room temperature before serving.
- Serve with amaro and honey-thyme ice cream. Mangiamo.