Combining the nostalgic flavors of a classic American apple pie with the luxurious texture of a beautiful Italian olive oil cake, bring the old country to the new this holiday season with this unparalleled spiced apple olive oil cake. We recommend pairing this with a hot toddy, a delicious cognac or a warm cup of tea in the middle of the day. There’s no bad time to enjoy this olive oil cake.
SPICED APPLE OLIVE OIL CAKE
▢ 2 cups apples, cut into small 1/4 inch cubes
▢ 1 lemon, juice and zest
▢ 1 tsp vanilla extract
▢ 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
▢ 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
▢ 1 tbsp bourbon
▢ 2 cups all-purpose flour
▢ 1 3/4 cups sugar
▢ 1 tsp salt
▢ 1/2 tsp baking soda
▢ 1/2 tsp baking powder
▢ 1 1/3 cup Heritage Blend EVOO
▢ 1/3 cup whole milk
▢ 3 eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 350°F, oil a 9” round baking pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the apples, lemon juice & zest, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and bourbon into a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a separate medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, milk and eggs until well combined. Add the apples to the wet mixture and mix to combine. Add the dry mixture to the wet, and fold it in until there are no more dry spots. Do not over mix, however, as you don’t want it to become rubbery.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish and bake for 1 hour until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out dry. Remove from the oven and cool for 30-45 minutes before turning out and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar.