As one of the world’s leading almond producers, the delicious nut flavors many Sicilian dishes. From pastas, to fish, salads, and of course desserts, almonds have been worked into various shapes, tastes and uses to flavor local cuisine for centuries. Crisp on the outside, and soft on the inside, pasticcini siciliana alle mandorle (also known as amaretti), a Sicilian favorite since the 12th century, are traditionally made with just 3 ingredients: almonds, sugar, and egg whites. Often adorned with dried or candied fruits and nuts, these easy-to-make cookies are sold in bakeries across Sicily and are the perfect gift to bring for a dinner party.
Our version contains orange zest and pistachios to give the traditional cookie a special zing. Add hazelnuts and cocoa powder for another delicious combination, or remain a purist and stick to the 3 original ingredients.
PASTICCINI SICILIANA ALLE MANDORLE
Makes 3 dozen cookies
▢ 2 cups Almond Flour
▢ 1/2 cup Bona Furtuna Pistachios
▢ 1 cup Sugar
▢ 1 orange, zested
▢ 1/4 tsp almond extract
▢ 2 egg whites
▢ confectioners sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Pulse your pistachios in a food processor until they grind down to a fine sandy-like texture. Be careful not to over blend as it will quickly turn to paste.
- n a large bowl, combine the almond flour, ground pistachios, sugar, and orange zest and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg whites almond extract and mix until completely combined. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll 1 tbsp of the mixture into a ball(you’ll probably need squeeze them together in your hands to make it come together), then roll the ball in confectioners sugar. Using your thumb, gently press into the center of the ball to help flatten the cookie, creating a small dent in the top of the cookie. Proceed with the rest of the dough and arrange them on the pre-lined cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until they’re slightly toasty and still soft in the middle.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place the pan on a cooking rack. Cool completely on the sheet pans.
- Store in an airtight container.